Monday, August 13, 2012

Spinach Parmesan Orzo

Today was my first time ever cooking with orzo. I have eaten orzo many times at restaurants as a side dish with my meal and at my moms house, but have never made any myself. I bought a box of orzo on sale yesterday for $1.00 and used a 1.00 coupon for the orzo as well as a box on tricolor noodles. Since both boxes were $1.00 each, I paid .50 per box, which is awesome. Especially for name brand pasta. While I normally cook with whole grain pasta, I do use regular pasta every now and then. I believe in moderation and having some of what you enjoy on a regular basis. Enough of the backstory of how this all came to be, here is the recipe:

Spinach Parmesan Orzo (Serves 2-3 for a main course or 4-6 for a side dish)

Ingredients:

*   1 cup of uncooked orzo pasta
*   4 cups of water
*   4 cups of fresh spinach (frozen spinach is too watery for this)
*   A few sprays of Olive oil cooking spray to wilt the spinach
*   1 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*   1/8 tsp of garlic powder
*   1/8 tsp of sea salt
*   1/4 tsp of black pepper (I used cracked black pepper)
*   1 TBSP of Grated Parmesan (I used grated Parmesan Romano from the pasta aisle)

Directions:

1. Boil Orzo in water using a medium sized saucepan for 8 minutes. You want the pasta to be slightly harder than aldente since you will be sauteing the Orzo before serving the dish.



2.  Wilt Spinach while Orzo is cooking in a large pan using a light coating of olive oil cooking spray on medium heat.


3. Once spinach is slightly wilted, put spinach to the side. Make sure to consistently stir the spinach with a spoon or fork so that the spinach cooks evenly.

4. Drain Orzo and add olive oil, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper to the bottom of your large pan the spinach was in. The pan should be on medium heat.

5. Add Orzo and spinach to the oiled and seasoned pan. Add parmesan cheese on top and mix everything together with your spoon or fork.


6. Mix everything together and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the orzo is lightly browned.

7. Serve on a plate with meat/protein source and vegetables (I think chicken or fish would go great with this. Having my leftovers tomorrow for lunch with some cooked and seasoned chicken breast) or in a bowl like I did tonight on its own for a delicious, meatless meal.



This was pretty good by the way and made for a nice, quick dinner that was easy to put together. Looking forward to everyone's comments, please share with us if you try this recipe.

1 comment: