Saturday, August 11, 2012

Perfectly Peachy Overnight Oatmeal

This is an easy overnight oatmeal recipe I have made many times and enjoy. I often eat oatmeal for breakfast, especially in the winter. During those colder months I eat oatmeal about 4-5 times a week. I usually make my oatmeal the night before if I have work the next day. I am not naturally a morning person, even though I workout a few times a week in the morning.  Additionally I lead a very busy life as a student taking an average 2-3 classes a term and a full time working professional. Therefore I do everything I can to make sure I can easily eat healthy the majority of the time. I eat these overnight oats cold or heat them up in the microwave before eating them.

Feel free to substitute fresh peaches in place of the canned ones. I would only do so though if you can find ripe ones like the ones available this time of the year. I usually use canned ones and drain them, because they are widely available most of the year and are inexpensive.

Perfectly Peachy Overnight Oatmeal - Serves 3 (approximately 1 cup per person)

1 1/2 cups of old fashioned, rolled oats (not instant, quick, or steel cut oats)
1 1/2 cups of any kind of milk (I use Organic 1% milk or unsweetened almond milk most of the time, vanilla soy milk also works well here).
1  15 oz  can of sliced peaches canned in juice or splenda, drained or three fresh peaches, sliced
Sweetener or sugar to taste (I usually use 3 tsps of splenda or a small amount of stevia)
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract 
1/2 tsp of cinnamon (optional, I recommend adding this)

Add all ingredients except the peaches into a large sized container or bowl. Mix ingredients together and then mix the peach slices into the oat mixture. Portion oatmeal into three smaller containers or into one large container. Store oatmeal in the refrigerator or overnight.

Serve the next day cold or heated up. I normally microwave a portion for about 1-2 minutes if I want them warm. Keeps for a few days in the refrigerator. Sorry for the lack of pictures. This was a saved recipe I have made for myself several times in the last few months. I will make sure to include at least one picture in my next recipe. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a calorie count for your "Perfectly Peachy Overnight Oatmeal". Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been publishing the calorie counts of my recipes since they can vary slightly based on the fat content/brand name of ingredients cooks choose to use (types of milk, etc.). That being said, when I made this using 1% milk and fresh peaches, I plugged this into myfitnesspal and got the following per serving:

    Calories: 252
    Carbs: 44 grams
    Fat: 4 grams
    Protein: 10 grams
    Fiber: 6 grams
    Sodium: 63 grams

    Your count may vary based on type of milk and peaches used. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete